20180813A nativeharvest.com.jpg
Chokecherries are common throughout much of North America, but are they poisonous? Source: nativeharvest.com

Question: I would like your opinion on the edibility of chokecherries (Prunus virginiana). Is it true their berries are poisonous?

I’m a bit confused, as several websites mention that chokecherries are an excellent food for birds and some even say they can be used to make jams and syrups. But what really bowled me over was a page on the Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System. It states “Children have been poisoned and have died after ingesting large quantities of berries, which contain the seeds. All types of livestock can be poisoned by ingesting the plant material.”

I was appalled, as when I was young, we used to eat handfuls of chokecherries straight from the tree and we suffered no ill consequences. How is it possible that the berries can be both poisonous and non-poisonous?

Pierre Nadeau

Answer: I too used to eat the chokecherries as a boy, in spite of their astringent and none-too-sweet taste.

The secret is that it’s the pit (seed) that is toxic, not the fruit’s rather meager flesh. All cherries and other species of Prunus have poisonous pits. They contain amygdalin, a product the body converts into cyanide, a deadly poison, after consumption. However, people usually don’t eat cherry pits, not even those as small as the ones found in chokecherries. Instead, we spit them out, and thus suffer no risk of poisoning.

Cattle and other livestock eat chokecherries whole and can become poisoned if they swallow too many. Note that the text you found on the web specifies in the text that the children who died had swallowed the seeds.

20180813B viherlassila.fi.jpg
The very popular Schubert chokecherry is grown as an ornamental. Source: viherlassila.fi

Chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) is the North American counterpart of Eurasian bird cherry (P. padus). Not only are both very similar in appearance, but they’re widespread on their respective continents and are widely used as ornamental trees, especially purple-leaved varieties, such as P. virginiana ‘Schubert’, P. virginiana ‘Canada Select’ and P. padus ‘Colorata’. Moreover, the indigenous peoples of both continents harvested and consumed the fruits, sometimes even the pits, which can be safely eaten after cooking, as that destroys the amygdalin they contain.

Note that that if a person accidentally swallows a few pits, they won’t be poisoned: a fairly large quantity needs to be eaten, as the dose makes the poison. On the other hand, you shouldn’t make the habit of swallowing them.

Curiously, the pits pass without difficulty through the digestive system of birds and, in the wild, over 70 species feed on them. That also appears to be true for deer, other cervids and bears, all of which eat chokecherries with impunity. On the other hand, sheep, cows, horses, etc. can be poisoned. Other mammals, such as chipmunks and mice, seem to know that the pits are toxic and eat the flesh without swallowing the pits. Note too that even the stems, bark and leaves of Prunus are toxic to many mammals.

20180813C www.besthealthmag.ca.jpg
Sweet almonds can be eaten raw, but bitter almonds are poisonous unless properly prepared. Source: viherlassila.fi

If the pits of all Prunus (cherry, plum, peach, etc.) are toxic to humans, how is it possible we can eat almonds, which are extracted from the pits of the almond fruit, another Prunus species (P. dulcis)? There are two answers to that question.

First, after thousands of years of selection, varieties have been developed that contain no amygdalin. They’re called sweet almonds and are the ones you find sold as almonds in grocery stories. But so-called bitter almonds (ones that contain amygdalin) can still be consumed if they are correctly heated beforehand and are, in fact, popular in many European and Asian diets. However, because of the risk to consumers, the sale of bitter almonds is prohibited in many countries.

20180813D labradoodlesbycucciolini.ca.jpg
You shouldn’t be eating apple pips either! Source: labradoodlesbycucciolini.ca

Note too that the same situation applies to apples (Malus pumila): their seeds or pips are also toxic. That said, some people have the habit of sucking on and swallowing apple pips at least occasionally and yet they get away with it. That’s because, in most cases, apple seeds simply pass through our digestive system intact, so no poison is released. Chewing the seeds or piercing their coat is definitely not wise, as this will release the toxic elements. However, even then, few people are poisoned by apple seeds, as they are much less toxic than most Prunus pits. A healthy medium-sized adult can apparently eat over 200 ground-up pips without suffering serious poisoning.

The truth is many edible plants that have toxic parts or are toxic if they are not cooked beforehand. For more information on this subject, read Edible Plants With Poisonous Habits.

When harvesting plants from the wild or even our own vegetable gardens and orchards, it’s best to stick to consuming parts of plants we know to be safe, and even then, only after giving them the usually recommended preparation!20180813A nativeharvest.com

10 comments on “Is It True Chokecherries Are Poisonous?

  1. Larry Rather

    It’s told I my family that one of my uncles died as a toddler from eating green choke cherries. Now I guess he probably swallowed the seeds too.

  2. Pingback: Top Compilation 9 are chokecherry trees poisonous most viewed » Review hay nh?t

  3. Nenita Allmaras

    I’m searching about the name of a tree in my yard that my neighbor from Mexico says it’s edible. I tried the tiny dark berries. The taste was astringent and a little bit sour and sweet. Some says it’s poisonous, but if it’s poisonous, why they make into a jam or jelly.

    • This report discusses black chokeberries (Aronia melanocarpa), not chokecherries (Prunus virginiana). They’re two different plants.

  4. My mom used to make the best chokecherry jelly and syrup. She would grind whole cherries, pits included, strain and cook the juice. We ate a lot of it as children. I had no idea!

    • Cooked, there would be no problem… but when my grandma made chokecherry jelly, she strained the pits out. I would think texture would be more appetizing!

    • Helen is correct. People here in northern MN also ground the chokecherries and seeds to make jelly. The ground seeds make the flavor so much more mellow. I am wondering if cooking nullifies the “poison” in the seeds.

  5. John Wilson

    This question/column I have filed under the heading “you learn something everyday”. I also, ate chokecherries as a lad, but had no idea that the pits were toxic; nor any of the others either (Cyanide!). Another reason I follow your blog!

Leave a Reply

Sign up for the Laidback Gardener blog and receive articles in your inbox every morning!

%d bloggers like this: