Garden Myths Gardening Mushrooms

Garden Myth: White Mushrooms Are Always Edible (Not!)

White mushrooms might be edible… or they might be poisonous. You can’t tell by color alone. Source: theimagefixer.com

Most garden myths are harmless. They may not be totally true and they may be a waste of time and money, but they won’t kill you. Here’s one that can.

I recently received a letter from a reader (name changed to protect the innocent) asking whether it was true that white mushrooms were always edible. She had some growing in her lawn and was thinking of harvesting them, having heard that white mushrooms were safe to eat.

Mushroom color has nothing to do with whether they are poisonous or not. They can be white, brown, even green or purple, and still be edible. Or they could be poisonous. Never consume a wild mushroom unless you know what you’re doing.

Check out its identity on-line or in a guide to mushrooms or take a sample to a knowledgeable mycologist. Never, ever improvise with mushrooms, no matter what their color!

Garden writer and blogger, author of more than 60 gardening books, the laidback gardener, Larry Hodgson, lives and gardens in Quebec City, Canada. The Laidback Gardener blog offers more than 2,500 articles to passionate home gardeners, always with the goal of demystifying gardening and making it easier for even novice gardeners. If you have a gardening question, enter it in Search: the answer is probably already there!

0 comments on “Garden Myth: White Mushrooms Are Always Edible (Not!)

Leave a Reply

Sign up for the Laidback Gardener blog and receive articles in your inbox every morning!

%d bloggers like this: