By Wenxin Ye
How do you feel when you are taking care of your plants? How do you feel when you’re gardening? When you tend to your garden, you are nurturing and helping a living thing grow. This allows you to turn your stress and frustration into something beautiful that provides comfort and joy. It’s an excellent way to cope with negative feelings.
Below are some known benefits of plants that are directly or indirectly making you happy:
- Provides a better environment. Plants can help purify the air and eliminate air pollutants, providing you with a healthier environment that benefits your overall well-being. It turns out dirt is good for you, too.
- Better mental health. Studies have proven that people who spend more time outside in nature have better mental health and a more positive outlook on life. When you are positive, you see the world differently.
- Increases attentiveness and memory. Being around plants, whether at home or work, helps improve memory and attention span by 20% and can increase concentration.
- Reduces stress and anxiety levels. Studies show that people who spend time cultivating plants have less stress in their lives. This may be because caring for plants suppresses sympathetic nervous system activity and promotes comfortable, relaxed, and natural feelings.
- Enhances mood and sharpens focus. According to a 2016 study, by placing more than three indoor plants in homes or in businesses can enhance the mood and sharpen the focus.
- Increases productivity. Similar to the enhanced mood and sharpened focus, this study suggests that the presence of plants in the workplace can increase productiveness.
- Sparks creativity. People are 15% more creative when surrounded by greenery and natural elements.
- Improves relationships. Caring for plants can help to improve relationships between people and increase concern and empathy toward others. You learn how to be gentle, patient, understanding and aware of small changes, just like how you are interacting with people.
When you’re taking care of your plants, your plants are taking care of you, too. Plants are often used to decorate our space, but they also have many known benefits to our physical and mental wellness, they even help you live a longer life. Now that you’re aware of the ways houseplants and gardening can make you happy, maybe you’ll be inspired to add more to your plant family! If you haven’t started planning anything yet, here is a quick guide on gardening opportunities during Covid-19.